A CNG conversion kit is basically a set of components and tools that are installed in a vehicle so it can operate using both gasoline and CNG. CNG conversion kits usually come with parts such as regulator, high pressure tubing and fittings, pressure gauge, filling nozzle, hoses, hose clamps, closed loop fitting system, emulator, timing advance processor, fuel change over switch as well as the necessary wiring, straps and screws.
The fuel change over switch allows the driver to switch from gasoline to CNG in just a flick of a button. CNG conversion kits usually do not include the CNG tank or cylinder as well as the cylinder valve. They are purchased separately from the CNG conversion kit.
Using CNG conversion kits has several advantages. For people who are contemplating on making the switch from purely gasoline-run vehicle to a CNG/gasoline bi-fuel system, knowing these advantages can help you make the right decision that is best for you.
- Natural gas is significantly less expensive than gasoline. The cost of natural gas can go as low as $0.64 a GGE or Gasoline Gallon Equivalent. In some areas, natural gas costs as low as a third of the cost of gasoline, on average.
- CNG is more eco-friendly than gasoline. Natural gas produces far fewer harmful emissions and hydrocarbons than gasoline.
- Using CNG makes the engine cleaner and more efficient. Unlike gasoline, CNG does not produce harmful carbon deposits when combusted. This results to a cleaner and more efficient engine as well as longer lasting spark plugs and catalytic converters. Oil changes are also minimized because of carbon deposits that contaminate the oil is eliminated.
- CNG is abundant in the US. The country has extensive natural gas resources and a well-established network of pipelines. Switching to CNG can help ease the country’s dependence to foreign oil whose price continue to fluctuate.
- CNG makes the engine run quieter. Because of the higher octane levels of natural gas, the engine runs quieter resulting to minimized engine nose.